IFFK Entry Form Download : .pdf
IFFK Rules & Regulations Download : .pdf
Article 1. Organisation :
The 15th International Film Festival of Kerala will be held
at Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), the capital city of Kerala,
from 10th - 17th December 2010. The international media and
film professionals the world over have cherished the previous
editions of the festival for its very enlightened and enthusiastic
audience, wide representation of filmmaking countries and
its warm hospitality. Chalachitra Academy or the Motion Picture
Academy of the State of Kerala, which conducts this festival,
is a body devoted to the promotion and propagation of quality
Article 2. Aims and Objectives:
The festival aims at presenting a selection of the best of
World Cinema and a competition section especially devoted
to films from Asian, African and Latin American countries.
To encourage young and upcoming filmmakers, there is an award
for the Best Debut filmmaker from these countries.
Article 3. Sections:
3.1 Competition Section Films (Films with a minimum length
of 70 minutes produced or co produced from a country in Asia,
Africa or Latin America in the last one year)
3.2 Rules covering the competition section:
A Selection committee selects films for the competition. Unless
a special waiver is granted, only those
films meeting the following conditions are chosen for invitation
1. Entry for the competition is for films produced or co-produced
in an Asian, African and Latin American
2. Films that have been produced/or had first theatrical screening
after 1st September 2009 and having
English subtitles are eligible to participate.
3. Films selected for competition should not have participated
in any other International Film Festival
competition in India.
4. Selection of films for competition is at the discretion
of the committee, set up by the Academy. The
Chairman of the Academy as Director of the Festival has a
special right to waive any condition for
participation in the Competition.
5. No legal claim for participation in the competition can
6. No invited film shall be withdrawn from the festival programme.
7. During the entire period of the festival, none of the invited
films shall be shown outside the festival
venue, before its official presentation.
8. Selection at any other International festival does not
ensure selection to IFFK.
9. Films submitted in a previous edition of the festival cannot
be considered for competition again.
Films except those in English must be in their original version
with English subtitles for all festival sections.
1. World Cinema
2. Retrospectives & Homage’s
3. Indian Cinema Today
4. New Malayalam Cinema
Article 4. Entry deadlines & selection of films
4.1 The deadline for receiving applications and preview
material: 30th September 2010.
The DVD with English subtitles should reach the Academy before
the above-mentioned date along with:
1. A duly completed Entry Form (also available on our website)
2. An undertaking certifying the date of completion of the
3. Synopsis in English
4. Press Book or Publicity Brochure
5. Stills from the film & Director’s photograph
6. Name, address, telephone, fax & e-mail of the press
attaché, if any.
Rules governing selection committee for the competition section:
a) The Kerala State
Chalachitra Academy will appoint the Selection committee consisting
of eminent persons
including filmmakers and others from different fields.
b) No person with any involvement in the films will be present
on the Selection committee. The
committee member will provide this in writing.
c) The selection committee can suggest films for screening
in Sections other than those applied
2. The selection Committee will preview submitted films on
4.3 Selection Material:
1. Last date for receiving preview material is 30th September
2010. While sending DVDs value may be
declared as less than US$ 10. Inscribe ‘No commercial
value. For Cultural purpose only’ on the parcel.
2 The Festival will not bear the cost of transportation of
preview material. DVD’s will be returned on
request at the owners cost
3. The jury will sit in judgment on films chosen by the selection
committee for competition.
Article 5. Jury & Awards
1. An independent international jury appointed by the Kerala
State Chalachitra Academy will determine
the prizes. The decision of the jury will be final.
2. No one with any involvement in the making or the exploitation
of an entry for competition may sit on
3. The jury will sit in judgment on films chosen by the selection
committee for competition.
4. The Festival Director and the Artistic Director of the
Festival are free to attend Jury deliberations but
will take no part in the deliberations or decision making.
5. In addition to the cash awards the Jury is free to award
special jury prizes and mentions to any aspect
of filmmaking. These will not carry any cash prizes.
The jury will be the final and only authority to judge the:
Suvarna Chakoram (Golden Crow Pheasant) and
the Rajata Chakoram (Silver Crow Pheasant) awards of the festival.
The jury will award
(1) Suvarna Chakoram and a cash prize of Rs. 1,500,000/-
(about $US 30,000) to the best director and the producer
(2) Rajata Chakoram and a cash prize of Rs. 400,000/-
(about $US 8,000) to the best director and (3) Rajata Chakoram
and a cash prize of Rs. 300,000/-
(about $US 6,000) for the Best Debut filmmaker.
In addition to the above, a Rajata Chakoram and a cash prize
of Rs.200,000/- (about $US 4,000) will be
awarded as the Audience Prize to the director of a film that
is voted by the delegates of the festival as the
Best Entry in competition.
A FIPRESCI Award adjudged by an independent jury setup by
FIPRESCI will choose the best film for the
FIPRESCI Award the Best Malayalam Film in the competition
and Malayalam Cinema Today sections.
An independent jury set up by NETPAC will adjudge the best
Asian Film in Competition and the Best
Malayalam Film in the competition and Malayalam Cinema Today
An Independent Jury will adjudge The Best Debut Indian film
for the Hassan Kutty Award instated by
Article 6. Malayalam Language Films selected in IFFK
1. The selection committee set up by the Kerala State Chalchitra
Academy will recommend Malayalam
language films for the competition and Malayalam Cinema Today
2. Malayalam language films selected for the competition section
and Malayalam Cinema Today section
of the IFFK will be entitled to a grant of Rs. 100,000/-(Rupees
One hundred thousand) each
3. The Kerala State Chalachitra Academy will make one new
English subtitled print of the Malayalam
language films selected for the competition section and Malayalam
cinema Today section of the IFFK.
The Kerala State Chalachitra Academy will pay for the cost
of the new print and subtitling.
The producer will provide the negative and the subtitles.
The films prints will belong to the Academy and will be used
for non commercial and academic
screening purposes only
Article 7. Insurance & Shipping
1. The festival will incur shipping cost of the prints of
2. All films must be imported using the festival freight agent.
The festival will not be responsible for films
imported by any other means.
3. Films will be sent back to the participants only to the
address indicated in the entry form or as
instructed in writing, within two weeks of the festival closing
4. IFFK 2010 will pay storage and insurance costs for selected
films throughout the period in which the
cinematographic materials are in the festival authority’s
custody. In case of print loss or damage, the
liability of the festival authority will not exceed the value
indicated in the official entry forms.
5. In the event of damage to a print, any claims lodged by
the lender of the copy must be communicated
to the festival at the very latest, within one month of return
of the print to the lender.
6. The festival shields itself against liability for the oldness
of a print, by informing the lender by letter or
e-mail about any deterioration of the print, after receiving
7. Reimbursement for any eventual damage will be sent to the
lender of the print in the lending country
upon presentation of the invoice.
8. If the insurance company is obliged to reimburse damages
only to the festival authority, it shall
immediately upon receipt of this reimbursement, remit the
sum to the lender of the copy.
Article 8 Copies for archive
1. Winners of awards will deposit an English subtitled DVD
copy of the award winning film for use by the
Kerala State Chalachitra Academy for non commercial, academic
2. The winners of Suvarna Chakoram (Golden Crow Pheasant)
and Rajata Chakoram (Silver Crow Pheasant)
awards will be welcome to deposit a print of the Award winning
film in the Academy Archive, by receiving
the cost of the print from the festival authority.
The Chairman of the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy as Director
of the festival has the authority to
settle all cases not covered by the present rules.
Article 10. Promotional programme on Television
1. Please send at least 4 different excerpts of maximum three
minutes length each.
2. The film lender should indicate whether the excerpts should
be sent to him at his expense.
3. If excerpts are not available, the film maker is requested
to authorise the festival authority to tape four
excerpts of a maximum length of three minutes each, under
4. The Festival has the authority to give maximum publicity
to films being screened at the Festival.
No cuts or changes will be made in the films by the festival
management for any reason. The Festival
abides not to hold for each film more than the three screenings
as allowed by International Regulations.
The final print of each selected film must reach the sole
shipping agent accredited by the festival
authority before 25th November 2010 if prints are not received
by 25th November 2010 screening can be
The import, distribution & commercial exhibition of all
films to be presented in any section of the festival
will be exempted from customs duty.
Films will be presented within the official section of the
festival, only if they have been produced
following cinematographic professional rulings in the country
of production and if their priority destination
is for normal and continued theatrical exhibition.
A list of films selected will be posted on the Academy website
by 15th November 2010. Only films
selected will be informed in writing.
The festival will ensure that the films are screened at the
best available theatres. The names of the
theatres and their seating capacities will be made available
for information. The festival will also make
available a schedule of the entire program that will take
place during the festival period.
All relevant information regarding a film should be furnished
in the entry form for inclusion in the official
The festival will not present any film to any person or organisation
(other than the International jury)
before the official public screening or eventually, before
the general screening for the journalists, unless
specifically asked by the producer.
The promotional facilities in the Film Market organised by
the festival authority can be made use of by the
(a) (1) The Director or one producer of a film selected for
competition will be invited with full hospitality
for participation in the festival.
(2) Director of films selected for World Section will be provided
accommodation only during the festival. If
the Director is unable to attend he may nominate in writing
the producer or any other member of the cast
(3) Director or Producers of films selected in the Indian
and Malayalam section will be invited to
(a) The address of the Director and Producer as mentioned
in the entry form will be considered.
(4) The Festival Director reserves the right to invite as
guests any person or persons involved in the films
Participation in the festival implies acceptance of all aforementioned
regulations and selection conditions.
All materials may be sent to the following address:
Kerala State Chalachitra Academy,
Sasthamangalam, Thiruvananthapuram- 695 010,
Tel: +91-471-2310323, 2312214 Fax: +91-471-2310322
e-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: www.iffk.in , www.keralafilm.com